Thursday, November 30, 2006

yes. DEC.ember 1st, 2006

Night shift was a little crazy last night -
I was endorsed a woman who had already given birth (a postpartum) who had to stay the night for 'observation' because of the hemorrhage she endured while delivering. She was on her second IV and even though I only had to check her every 4 hours, she was still my responsibility, another thing taking up space in my tired mind.
At 12:05, just five minutes into december I assisted a beautiful baby boy in this world and had to deep suction his lungs out through his mouth and nostrils because of the mec stained BOW. This was my first time shoving a little tube down the throat and slowly suctioning on the way out. It went well!
and then, at 2:something AM I assisted another birth, this time, a baby girl (no deep suction needed, only with the hand-held bulb syringe). These two births completed my 10 assists. YIKES. it's MY turn now!
At 5:35, just after I had checked my postpartum's vitals, a labour came in!...my shift ends at 6am and I knew there wasn't enough time for me to handle the birth, well, MOST likely not. I checked her in though, which is so fun - takingv vitals in between contractions, soothing her, helping her work through the pain, awe man...it's amazing. By 5:50 an IE (internal examine) was needed to confirm how far along she was, but, again I was leaving at 6 and there wasn't any reason for me to 'test the waters' with so little time. That's ok.
NEXT SHIFT: Monday, December 4th
I'll be 'first UP' :D, which means I get the first labour...which most likely ensures that my first handle will come on that day. (uhhh, you could pray for that! ;))
alright na lang, i'm going to BED!, have such a great wkd everyone.

1 comment:

jonathan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.