Saturday, November 25, 2006

"DARlingg its BETter, DOWN where its WETter - take it from meee!"


shoot! so I'm going to get SO frustrated as I blog my day to you all, as I cannot desCRIbe how incredible it was.
One of my life-long dreams has been to be able to bREAthe under water, and today I came as close as I'll ever come in doing so. At 6:30 am sharp Jenny, Charity, Lois, Laura, and I crammed into a taxi for our 7 am scheduled introductory to SCUBA! Departure ended up being closer to 8 am, but even the boat ride to the first dive spot was worth the $16 total for the day.


We were fortunate enough to learn about this Carabou Dive Club, and the club 'members' were all going out for a dive today aswell. Among them was a surgeon, a lawyer, an astronomy guy, a FISHerman, a principal, etc...quite the diverse crowd, most of whom shared ownership of the scuba shop! Our instructors flew through the intro. to the equipment and before I knew it Laura and Jenny were 'GOING IN!' (there were only 2 instructors, therefore only 2 allowed to go at once), while the rest of us just played around on the boat, snorkling and such (again, i would have been thrilled with JUST the snorklinggg!) After consuming our bag lunches we hit up yet another location that looked like the beginning scene of a movie for the second dive spot. The owners decided to switch up it a bit, give the instructors a break, and I ended up diving with the surgeon/part owner!! [meh, just another day in the phils..breathe under water, hold a surgeons hand, ya know, the us..hah] Ya, because it was our introductory lesson we had to hold hands MOST of the time...except when he was writing to me on this sweet underwater whiteboard. He'd point out certain fish or coral, then write the name on the board. I saw some small baracuda, a scorpian fish (which he saved me from trying to touch!), slugs....which doesn't sound very exciting, but THESE slugs were INsane...such vibrant colours, and shapes, and sizes. MAN. it was awesome).

GOING IN!
The maximum depth he took me was like 90 ft :P.. and by 90, I mean 40! But we explored mostly around 30 ft. deep,, which was nuts because every time I looked UP to see the surface, it looked SO close. Fred (my diver) said I was a 'natural' diver! ahah, he PRObably just wanted me to sign up to become CERTified and be in their club...which I am definetly considering. Hopefully the pictures do some justice to what I experienced, heck- you should just come OVER here, and I'll take you DIVinggg!

OH YA. and also the fisherman went down a 100 ft. with a SPEAR and caught this TUNAfish! wow...

2 comments:

Christine said...

JENNA...you are so lucky. The water looks AMAZING! I'm sure you were loving every minute of it. I would not have been holding that tuna fish, but i think its cool that you did!! btw..are ALL tuna fish that big??? i thought they were just little guys. i think you should join the scuba club.

lo said...

you ARE a natural... and they made it look so easy I think we totally SHOULD join! I could handle that as a Saturday ritual... I think we could work that out, eh?!