Tuesday, September 26, 2006

"...Naah kai sakit sa puerta?!"

Yesterday, I took an extra birthroom swing (from 2-10) shift...and, yes, I observed a MiRACle. :D
There were 2 labours in progress when I started. I began observing the younger one (who's 'bana', boyfriend/husband, was helping too!...holding her head, being a literal support when she was pushing...it was quite amazing to see the interaction between them. I can't imAgine what his racing through his head at the time! - both were 21 years old) but she wasn't progressing so after 2 hours we transported her to DMC (Davao Medical Center) because she was just tOO small, and the baby was stuck :S. Our clinic has this sweet little blue ambulance, and I got the hold the IV pouch while they transported her to the hospital. The guard on duty is in charge of driving...aaaand the ride was nUts! The absense of stop signs makes for an already chaotic drive, but WE were driving on the wRONg side of the road...mer, i can't explain it. The siren was whirling, dust was flying!, it was GREAT! After making sure she was admitted and taken care of in hospital, we went back to the clinic JUSt in time to catch the other women giving birth to a beauitful baby boy.
My reactions/response? It was mUCH different than I imagined. I gUESS I'm somewhat of a control-freak because I ASSumed the midwife would have alot more control over how fast the baby comes out. But she doesn't. have ANY! The little slippery, blueish-gray creature just slIdes out whenever it can fit! then is hoisted UP onto the mother's chest with the umbilical cord STILL ATTACHED! again, i thought the normal procedure was to clamp the umbilical cord right away, but you have to wait until it stops pulsing. -- My first assignment, which i jUST completed and will hand in tonite at student group, was all about fetal development and the placenta. It's cool how we're learning the stuff IN the books, and also getting to EXperience what we read in the birthroom. -- I then saw the placenta come out, along with a whole lot of blood, and other bodily fluids. I was a bit nervous about all of the aromas floating around the delivery room, but they didn't bother me too badly, although I wasn't the midwife right THERE, catching the thing either, so...I'll keep you updated on thAt when I'm the midwife in charge!

4 comments:

Christine said...

WOW! I was so excited as I started reading the story of your first birth experience. I'm sure it was totally overwhelming and so AMAZING. What a rush that must have been on the ambulance ride! I can just imagine you totally in your element. So what does the title of your post mean? Oh, and can we play the guessing game again? I liked that! I knew it was fruit! Can you bring some home for us please?

Dave Heywood said...

(Sarah) Hey Jenna that is insane. I'm so excited for you. Question: Was there ripping involved? Ewww.

jenna and brianna konkle said...

ahah. oh, how i LOVE you girls to bits! ah, no, there was no ripping, but she was very experienced..like, 3/4 birth.
and of COURse we can play more guessing games, Christine! ahaha.
:)

jenna and brianna konkle said...

OH, heheh, and 'naah kai saki sa puerta' is Cebuano for 'are you experiencing any PAIN in your vagina?!' :S haha, thats why I wrote it in a different language.