Wednesday, June 27, 2007

..ready...stEAdy..

Our IV in-service, a class some have been dreading since the fall, was yesterday afternoon. We had a week to complete the assignment, and learn what to do (and what NOt to do) when inserting an intravenous line into somebody's vein.




.











Yesterday was the practical exam - and we got as many tries as your partner could stand to successfully insert the cannula. oH my. I have a big bruise on my hand as I type this, thankfully my partner, Jenny, only needed one poke! [hey Laura, can you feel the pressure with all of us staring down your needle there?!]














Yeahh, they say i have "great veins" (some were eyeing them up before the class..). i actually WATChed jenny put this needle into my hand. I let Tiff practice on me a while ago also. I truly do have an appreciation for our women who don't even flinch as we stick'em with these needles. The whole contraction bit might be somewhat of a distraction, but i do believe the filipinas have a super high pain tolerance.

I was one of the last to go, because I was on shift at the time and busy down in the birthroom but I was sUPerr nervous. Even though I've successfully inserted a handful of IVs prior to this class, THIS time was on my dear friend, Jenny (the nerves also could have been from tiff's comment "jenna, you better get this in on the first try because i've heard you're a pro..)(hmm. i don't think "pros" shake as much as i was poking jenny) But I got it in, first try, thank the Lord.



Group shot. My class, with our fearless teachers (they'd probably be able to insert IVs in their OWN hands)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always loved starting IV's ...but maybe that's because the patients didn't turn around and start them on me!!!
Love ya!! Bonnie

Mai Catarina said...

I'm not even there yet, and already I am nervous about this clas.... oh boy, oh boy...

michelle said...

hey hey there PRO! i'd let you give me an IV jenna! haha I woulda loved to be there to watch that! i'm not a huge fan of needles! but i guess I should get over that really fast!
you're the best jenna......... keep us the good work! and that snake if flippin disgusting!
luv ya

Dave Heywood said...

I really, really hope Sarah doesn't see this post. Talking about needles makes her feel lightheaded. She would pass out at the computer!