Wednesday, May 09, 2007

another nightshift

i was first up last night. A labour came in at 11pm with a ragggging UTI, that kind of thing is not only VERy painful in labour but also dangerous for the baby so I took her to the hospital (in the bRANd new ambulance!). Another girl came in around 1am, but it was her first time giving birth and she was only in the beginning stages of labour, and only 1cm so I sent her home to rest and wait until contractions were more regular. JUST as she was leaving another walks in (just before 2am) she, again, was just starting her labour, but was also 36 weeks and 2 days along. At the clinic we don't deliver under 37 weeks because usually the baby requires more assistance than we can give it when its so young. So we went back to the hospital with yet another transport. I went back to bed around 3am..

Just before endorsements a labour came in at 5:45 and Jennjo showed her to the CR (the bathroom) to pee and wash up before checking her in. I saw Jennjo then at the calendar figuring out her dates (she was 36 weeks and 1 day..) when ALL OF A SUDDEN we hear her moaning, and kind of crying out. We both walk past the midwife sitting area, and around the corner to see what the heck was going on. She was kind of bent over holding tight her duster (a little dress girls wear around the house, and to be comfortable, and in labour) and kind of squatting a bit. Jennjo starts saying "eiow otong! eiow otong!" "stop pushing. stop pushing." and THEN... SROM all over the mat just outside the CR! I run back into the birthroom to grab gloves, but there were not only the midwives on NIGHTshift, but ALSO midwives from DAYshift trying to help. so i just gave my gloves away and watched as two girls picked her up to get her to a bed. i belIEVE the baby's head was out somewhere by the couch, and the body came out just as they got her onto a bed (the duster becoming a perfect sized hammock for the baby). There were like 6 midwives wanting to assess the baby, and start free flow oxygen, and trying to chart the events. so I, with my sleep-crusted eyes, just went and grabbed the mop to clean up the trail of amniotic fluid from the CR to the cubicle. Both mom and baby were good. And the birth added the spARk of excitement my shift had been lacking!

[yes, there have been other stories of CR births... baby's out while the mother was on the toilet. WE're always there though, we haven't dropped one yet! i promise.]

4 comments:

MaryJocelyn said...

Great Story Jenna. Speaking of hammocks...i miss yours, and I've been thinking about it alot lately with this new weather and when I'm busy with my new hobby. WHAT HOBBY YOU ASK??! I'll tell ya...when we skype. (SOON!) Love, Mar

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenna...
Amazing story...I don't really know what alot of the short forms mean...but it so so technical and amazing...
I hope that you are enjoying your day!
Love ya...Becky
And guess what I have a new hobby too...Nan taught me how to knit and I am thoroughly enjoying it!

jenna and brianna konkle said...

haha.
i think Lois is going to teach us..and by us i mean me..how to crochet! quilts are a hot commodity in the phils..

Anonymous said...

Sounds like crazy eventful fun!
~Beth