Tuesday, February 20, 2007

YEE, the bESt!

today on shIft..uhh, i think it was the vERY first time I was truly comfortable/confident being endorsed a labour. WHen I think back to some of the first times on shift, I was AB.sol.utely.terr.I.fied about being responsible for a labouring woman. But toDAY was different. Enday (Rudyleen Labajo) had a few complications that needed to be taken care of before delivery would happen naturally... a handsome baby boy was born @ 4:03pm, but was immediately transported because of meconium inspiration and nostril flaring - so sad because he didn't get his first meal before going off with his dad and leaving poor Enday totally alone and complEtEly exhausted. (this is where I shINE :D). I kicked it into 'nurse' mode, made Enday some 'milo' (kinda like hot chocolate, we always give these girls milo after a birth to boost their energy, like 200 calories a cupful), scammed some food from the kitchen for her! (usually the 'banas' (husbands) will go to get some food after the birth, if they haven't already brought some)...

so, we kinda became buddies, as I was hanging out with her in her cubicle while finishing all the paper work involved with delivering someone's baby. (NORmally I try to leave her, her husband, and new baby alone to bond) And SOMEwhere in and amongst all of her immediate postpartum checks, we started talking about baby boy NAMES! She asked me what I liked, so I began listing off names, starting with the coolESt ones I could think of, and finishing off with some of my friends names (it's hARD to think of boys names on the spot!) After all that, she asked me to repeat the very first one I had listed because thAt was thE ONE!

And, I'm excited to announce...

BRYDEN has offICIAlly had a baby in the philippines named after him! Enday has two other boys, both with two first names, so in keeping with this, her son was named Bryden Liam Labajo Pallor. I was so incredibly excited! BRY!, how COOL is THIS?!

As I was walking home I started thinking about if I'd ever get the chance to meet Bryden Liam when he gets older...THEN I started thinking about the ELEVEN OTHER babies I've delivered...I am the first person to assess, see, touch, and speak to these little babies and I've never really thought about their lives AFTER Mercy Maternity Clinic. [i miGHt be getting too far into this] How cool would it be to meet up with some of them 10, 20 years down the road and be able to say I HELPED you out of your mOm! and, ...would this have an impact on them? Then I started thinking about who delivered ME...and, i don't think i'd really care either way. So, maybe Bryden Liam wouldn't care either. But still, he is a big deal to me right now. I will probably go visit them in the hospital to see how things are.

ALSO. (yikes...) we had student group tonight, where all of the students meet with the directors/founders/active participants in the school AND birthroom. TOnight was all about missions (haha, again.) and Matt named off EIGHT countries they are in contact with who are bEGGing them to send midwives. They are as follows: Indonesia, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Afghanistan, Romania, Cambodia, Mexico, and India....urghhh. [did i mention, they're BEGGInggg] Matt is such an amazing speaker, so inspiring...I wanted to cry a few times during his little schpeel. i.don't.know.what.to.do/think. Matt and Krys are totally behind supporting 4 or 5 of us going into a country and starting a birthing clinic...my face in this pic best describes my emotions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's an awesome story Jenna...Bryden...I'm sure will be honoured...about you going to another country...I'm not so sure about that one...I think we might need another clinic in Canada...(but maybe I'm just being selfish because I would love for you to deliver my babies). And just in case Michelle reads this and gets confused...NO...Michelle I'm not pregnant too...I'm talking about down the road! I love ya girl!
Becky

jenna and brianna konkle said...

whoa whoa whoa.
you guys are taking this way more seriously than i think i am..
i mean, LOTS of thing tug onmy heart, but that doesn't necessarily mean i go and ACt on every single one. yes, things are up in the air..
the first and most prominent thing i want to do is live with my sister and go to school with her and open a clinic with her (hhaa, pretty sweet huh...she'll be the dietition all my pregnant girls go to before and after their pregnancy!) anyways. it's all still a far ways off.

thetaximom said...

Heh Jenna:
I was just reading up on your blog here, and thinking about what all might be going on in your mind. Girl as much as we all want you to come back home to us, God might just be preparing you to move on in this area and to another country. Keep your heart open to where He leads you and to what His will is for your life. We all really do want you to come back to Canada, but on the other hand who are we to think that our will is God's will for you or anyone else for that matter.
I hope you have an awesome visit with your mom.
By the way, the ivories on the keyboard back home here have been feeling neglected by you, so if you do find yourself coming home at any time in the future (summer maybe) we look forward to hearing you play them again.
Connie Bakker (thetaximom)