Thursday, February 08, 2007

jenna(..with an h) Fruylan

last night's shift endorsed Maricel Malate, a 19 yo G1P1 (now) to me at 8 cm dilated. She wanted to push right then but I advised her to while until she was fully to start pushing...she was tired, so she rested. Just before 8 am she started getting more vocal, so I lifted her leg (she was lying on her side) expECTing to see nothing new.
exCEPT, somewhere in that hour she'd gone from 8 cm to fully and the baby's HEAD was alREADY visible!
yIkES!
so I call 'head visible' as I slap on the gloves so my supervisor will come to chart for me. [as students, we are suPPOSEd to have our supervisor in the cubicle for all the 'important' events such as crowning, baby out, and the birth of the placenta]. Maricel did sUCh a great job of controlling herself. She'd push when I encouraged it and would breathe when I'd say to. The newborn baby girl was born at 8:05 with a nuchal cord coil AND a 'body wrap' (when the cord also going around the body). I've never been faced with THAT situation before, and there's all these protocols and whatnot, but at the time, you don't really thINk about or reMEMber the rules, you just deal with it. And the baby slid out with being strangled, so i gUESs i did my job.

Roldan, her husband disappeared later on, just before the bath and i THOUGHt he was going to miss it. [i consider the first bath a prEtty.bIG.dEAl.] So when he DID show up I was like 'WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!', totally joking of course..but he smelled like smoke. I made him bath the baby, haha, all in fun, of course, as punishment for slipping out for a smoke.

Also, Maricel had said that Roldan would name their baby..and after 5 hours she remained nameless - when I was filling out the birth certificate I started asking him all these questions like 'well, what kind of names do you LIKE?', 'what are you conSIDering?' ...Finally he goes, 'i like YOUR name.' YEEEEEE.
Jennah Fruylan is THE first filipino to be named after me - maybe because I pressured him, maybe because we were buddies, or maybe just because he liked the name jenna, it doesn't matter - it feels prEtty darn good. They'll always be a special family to me.

2 comments:

Christine said...

congrats on another delivery and such a great story jenna. you are so good at re-telling your experiences. what a cool thing to have a child, and one you delivered, named after you! do you have a picture of the two of you together?
nice new blog look by the way. sorry i didn't walk you through it. i knew you could figure it out on your own!! i really like your peace quote. if you ever want some really different blog templates, just google search them cause there are a ton of unique ones out there outside of blogger.
glad you liked the picture i sent! thanks for your encouragement.
loves...

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenna...
Yeah such a great story and what an amazing honour to have a little person out there named after you...I too like the new format...We need to chat soon...I think it has been more than a month since I have heard your voice...way too long!
Becky