Wednesday, January 24, 2007

"and, et, y, ug"

Mahal na mahal kita pangino-on
Mahal na mahal kita pangino-on
Kailan man di kita ipagpapalit
Pagkat sa piling moy langit
Mahal na mahal kita pangino-on

Habang buhay, papupurihan
Ka habang buhay, maglilingkod sa iyo
Habang buhay, pag-ibig ko sayo iaalay

This is an example of one of the songs we sing in cebuyano/visayan with our patients before prenatals start.
I now know, from language class, how to pronounce of these words, and can even translate some of it.
The girls see me/us singing these songs and automatically assume I can speak their language fluently. [Keep in mind, we have anywhere from 50-100 patients on any given day coming thru for prenatals so i'd say the chances of already KNOWing a patient are 50/50.]

So, I grab their chart, call out a name, they follow me into our cubicle, and I introduce myself in visayan - "ako si Jenna"
i GUEss this too is a little deceiving. THe girl then repeats my name ("ma'am jeanna" is what i NORmally get...sick!) and then starts off in a language i do not understand. hahah

what FUN we have!

It's been a slow run for me this year, but I just delivered my second baby of the new year..(it's the luck of the draw as to how many babies you'll get to catch, my roommate had 6 babies in EIGHT days! - that could possibly get a little overwhelming!) This was probably the easiest birth I've had, although, the pt. had no recollection of her water breaking. When the baby girl came out it's mouth and nose were full of blood instead of mucus and fluid...it was really strange...basically NO amniotic fluid. OH, haha, and another funny thing about this birth, the MOM was going nuts (as is expected) but THEN goes ahead and takes a little 'break' when the head was out, asked for some water, and thEN proceeded to push the baby the rest of the way out only when I asked her too...i wass like "uhh, please, could you open your legs and push your baby the rest of the way out?" It makes me nervous as it IS to have that head just stuck there. Anyways, it all worked out!

aaaand, I've just received word that my semester brEAk is from March 3-12. so NOW my mom can finalize booking her flights. She'll be visiting for almost THREE weeks...it's going to be amazing! I have SO many things to show her and i also have SO many things I would like her to bRING me! I'm excited..

1 comment:

michelle said...

okay so where is everybody!?!?! i guess i loveyou the most jenna?!?!? well i aleady knew that !
xxoxox luv michelle