Wednesday, November 01, 2006

protein DINNer

my apologies for not keeping UP as often as I would like.
I've actually got a lot to blog about.
Last SUNday there was a potLUCK at the church I attend, All Nations. So we signed UP and made ceasar salad, homemade dressing AND croutons and all! well, it was ACTually more of a potPLATE because the helpers just scooped whatever people brought and you got to choose a plate! I chose one with a brownie, other stuff too, but the brownie was the selling point. The church service was neat, too. October was 'missions month' at All Nations, and last sunday summed it all up. I will try to figure out how to upload a movie on to this thing, so that you can experience the diversity firsthand!
ALso, tonight we had 'care group', every third wednesday all students and midwives, and teachers get together to 'care' for eachother, there's usually a short devotional and we just hang out, and eat. but toNITE we got together a little earlier because my class, the newbies, just finished our nutrition assignment, and had the task of feeding 15 ppl on a budget of jUSt 300 pesos, $6 american. We were split into two teams and were competing to see who could pack more protein into only one dish (the rice was supplied). It was a good time, and both recipes turned out not so bad! This is a picture of us ON the WAY to the clinic, entree in hand (where we were having care group)...our tricycab driver thought we were nUts!

And this is in the kitchen of the clinic, where I eat while on shift and such, everyone's staring at our creations!..the clinic has AMAzing cooks, and it's cool because I'm really exposed to the filipino culture this way.
Birthroom Update: my last 3 shifts have seen no babies born...and I finished my assignment early so I've been mulling around, finding oTHEr things to occupy my thoughts...
more to come on THAT later.

2 comments:

jenna and brianna konkle said...

no live frogs...but i hAVe walked by plenty of whole pig heads, and buckets full of chickens feet and heads, i'm really not sure whAt or whO uses these items but.

Christine said...

glad your ceasar salad went well. how did people enjoy it? thats so interesting how they serve up the potPLATE. maybe we should try it like that here!! I guess maybe you could ensure that everyone gets an even amount of stuff, eh. the protein challenge thing sounds like a really fun idea. who won? i am curious to hear about the OTHER things you been mulling around with. it was nice to see your smiling face in the picture. makes me miss you just a little more!!
love to you..