Thursday, November 09, 2006

the cULtivation of RICE.

FYI ;) Rice is a staple for a large part of the world's human population, especially in East and Southeast Asia. Rice cultivation is well suited to countries and regions with low labour costs and high rainfall, as it is very labour-intensive to cultivate and requires plenty of water for irrigation.
Rice is often grown in paddies. The shallow puddles take advantage of the rice plant's tolerance to water: the water in the paddies prevents weeds from outgrowing the crop. Once the rice has established dominance of the field, the water can be drained in preparation for harvest.
I got to actually see all of this last wkd. It was crazy how high the mud comes up to that guy's knees.

OH! and I assisted my very first BIRTH yesterday on shift! that's rIGht, charting's done, and I now have to assist 10 births before I am able to call the shots and catch the baby. ohh myyy. can't.wait. i miss you all - take time to enjoy a brisk morning for me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenna,
Your mom is over for lunch with Helga and she told me about your blog...this is so new to me; this blog stuff. It is really cool to see what is happening in your life and the experiences that you are living! Wow! God's blessings on you and on the lives of those whom you are touching.
Owen Juhlke
(B.T.W.: I have, since June, been using my middle name as my primary name)

Dave Heywood said...

Don't be fooled... you were allowed to beat me :)

jenna and brianna konkle said...

hahah. i.LOVE.this!
YOU all bless ME so incredibly much by commenting. It's a real treat!