Monday, September 18, 2006

pre-natal clinics

WOW.
it all starts at 7:45 am, we make up the beds and have a devotional with the team. THEN the girls sing a couple of songs, and then they have a devotional, at which point us MIDWIVES schedule our 'baby check-ups' (if you deliver a baby, your responsible for the baby's check-ups). Around 10am the pre-natals start, and you just grab a chart, call the name, read over her chart, ask questions, do an external examine, pray for her and move on to the next client. I felt...so cool...like a doctor! My USUAL pre-natal day will be every tuesday, but girls take turns doing Monday pre-natals because that's when we have new clients come in, from there they are assigned a permanent pre-natal day. Because I worked today (monday) they were all new clients, and they all needed their hematocrit taken! (aaand, for those of you, like me, had no CLUE what that was- it's just a little prick in their finger, then you fill this super skinny tube up with the blood that you squeeze from their finger, then the tube goes into this machine (I forget the name of the machine) thEN from the results, you can tell if they're anemic.) So I spent most of the morning calling out their numbers, asking for their lab. results, and taking hematocrits!! It was wicked.
I also got to observe some of the pre-natal examines, as well as a few baby check-ups. I learned a lot. My head is full. and THEN I had class, not really clAss, but we got our first assignment on fetal development...and now my head is rEAlly spinning. We have a week to complete it, and our first test (because we have a test after every assignment) is next friday. NEEDless to say, I PRObably won't be able to connect with some of you as much as I have been...it's been a sweet vacation, but now I need to concentrate and learn this stuff well.
[DEFinetly check out Lois' blog (on the side there..) it's reeeally good, PLUS she puts way more pictures/details in hers and you'll be able to see what I've been up to!][OH, and my email was being dumg, so I've switched over to GMAIL :) its jmkthemwf@gmail.com] You're all sleeping sounding right now, ready to start another week - I'll be thinking of you*

1 comment:

Christine said...

jenna dear. so glad to hear you loved your first day in the clinic. i can just picture you loving every minute of it. its so great that you get to start right into. you are going to learn so much, so fast that way!! i enjoyed the pics on lois' blog. looks like you can cut a mean pineapple and your face in the kareoke pic is quite funny! love you!