Tuesday, August 05, 2008

UPdate -

Mercy Maternity CLinic, and all who volunteer/work there, successfully delivered ONE HUNDRED and FORTY-ONE babies for the month of July! Our numbers usually exceed 100 in this area, but an extra baby a day really makes a difference! Personally, I caught 8 of those... and as of right now i'm 1/3 finished the posts-grad requirements laid out by Ryerson (and it's oNLY the beginning of august!!).

Things are also well underway for the new students - the house beside us is empty, and ready for half of the students to move over/in. THe ground floor of the clinic is even being re-vamped to accommodate mORE patients! THings are super exciting. We've got an amazing missionary (Cathy) here right now for a few months as an intern, a PA from the states who has been working for 2 years in Sudan with her husband on medical missions, education, etc. She's teaching us primary health care that is very beneficial. Last weekend's outreach to Penaplata, Samal went very well. There's one girl due in a months time. And Cathy was able to come with me to do regular check-ups for anyone who needed and one of my very best filipino friends came and ended up translating for Cathy (suCH a blessing!). Agdao prenatal clinic is still going strong, and i'm enjoying it more and more as relationships are formed and the atmosphere becomes more comfortable and inviting rather than strange, new, and even a little awkward! The outreach to Talikud is scheduled for august 16 - the day after Brianna arrives!! - I haven't been to that specific one before, I had to miss the first one, so am excited to go meet the pregnant girls on tHAT island, too! It sounds busy, but because I don't have homework/assignments/studying weighing me down, I actually have a lot of free time to read or hang out, etc.

4 comments:

~TK ~ said...

Wow that's a lot of babies! I think I only caught 5 of those, or something :)

Which Filipina friend went with you to your outreach on Samal?

I can't believe Brianna comes so stinkin' soon...nuts

jenna and brianna konkle said...

yeah, sorry- i should be more specific for those whO know ppl here! IT was Dian!! hahaa, she was such a big help, and wants to come next week to Talikud, eVEN though it's her bday that day! cool huh

michelle said...

hey jenna!!!! i can't believe brianna is going sooooo soon !!!!! thanks for the reminder!!! luv ya to bits!

JennJo said...

I would love to hear more about your requirements for Ryerson...Or, if you've talked about them before, point me to them. I'm interested in the details of the process and the program and your journey into it.