Tuesday, June 03, 2008

continuity - delma FELIX

Came in this morning at 3:20 and was 4cm at 3:45am...i was called out of bed. And it was a SUPER busy night shift (including transporting a breech), and the poor girl had to listen to 3 other women come in "fully" and ready to push and have their babies. Her husband kept counting as the babies kept poppin' out. SHe needed an IV because her blood pressure was borderline high. She was wanting to push around 8am but was only 8cm - the head still very high. I got her to walk stairs and do other exercises to help bring the head down the birth canal. THe flood gates opened at 9:32am as her bag of waters burst. At which point the head was visible and baby slid out at 9:39am. The baby boy, weighing 3.42 kgs (7lbs. 9oz.), was named John Paul F. Mamontayau - her second son (and she's ONly 19).

This week is SUPER SUPER busy. WIth one last review test before the final, AND the Agdao prenatal clinic is starting up THIS thursday. I'm heading up these prenatals, and all the girls will become my continuities...AKA from thIS thursday forth my life is not my own! Any second one of these girls could go into labour, or be having problems with their pregnancy, or postpartum and its my responsibility to be there as their MIDwife. This is the real deal... i think this is more of what it's like to practice as a midwife in Ontario (which might nOT be such so enticing anymore). But, we'll see. My prenatal clinic (run under supervision and with the HELP of MANY at Mercy, of course) will be every thursday at a church in the Agdao community. A lot of people i've talked to already are SO excited to get involved...it's really cool to see! I'll have pics next post of thursday morning..

3 comments:

michelle said...

you can do it JENNA!!!

Jennifer Hall said...

I LOVE your new blog look - or is it not so old and I have been slacking in my blog reading?! Hehe, anyway - it's great.

Christine said...

Whao...new blog!! Thought I was at the wrong site. Looks good. I can't believe you are going to be working as a 'real' midwife soon. That's amazing. Oh and from your previous post...LOVE that you picked Jaiden as the baby's name. So cute!!!