Saturday, September 01, 2007

"home sweet home"

I didn't have time to miss this country and culture while home for a month, but as sOOn as I boarded the plane in Vancouver, the one headed to the capital of the Phils, Manila, I couldn't get over how much I missed these people. Tiff and I boarded the plane as "late shows" because our plane from TO had arrived late (and everyone had already boarded). As soon as we sat down these 2 nice, old filipinas were smiling at us, and started up a conversation.

Since that point on it's been nothing but blISS in regards to how I am treated. The airport personnel, the taxi drivers, random ppl on the street all go out of their way to smile, say hello, and accomodate us however we might need. Let me give you a few examples of the type of ppl I'm around daily:
Lois and I went to the market this morning but somehow got separated in the crowd... I was on the outskirts of the market, looking in to find her. I turned around and caught the eye of a cute, little, old man who raised his eyebrows at me and pointed with his lips to a particular aisle of the market. haaha, sure enough, I found Lois not too far in! He knew I was looking for the only other white girl in the place. It was cool.
and then,
Just on my walk home tonight from Aileen's house (which, by the way, her baby boy, Aijey, is growing like a beanstalk!...two months and he's changed so much! :S), anyhow, on my walk home these little boys were playing basketball. And the one with the ball raises his eyebrows at me a few times, I raise'em back and smile, and he goes "this one's for you" as he shoots the ball!! (aweeee.)(he missed but still. so cute!)

I also attended a ministry called Family Circus, you should look it up because there is much too much happening with that organization to type about on here. But, I attended one of there services this afternoon, kids of all ages and some moms came out to sing, recite bible verses, get food, and prizes. Oh mYYY, it was such a good time. Being around all these kids makes me kind of sad that I only work with moms who have tiny babies. Toddlers and children are just SO CUTE! I think I've decided that IF i were to ever open a clinic somewhere, there'd need to be an orphanage next door [michelle..are you up for that kinda thing?! :P][chrisTINE, you could teach!][and of course, Brianna would be the strength and encouragement behind the whole operation because SHE's the one who wanted to work in Africa in the first place]. Oh the possibilities!!

2 comments:

michelle said...

jenna! an orphanage sounds great!!! you know me . Kids make me MELT! i'm glad you're settling in so quickly! and OBVS.. you're getting raised eyebrows. don't forget you're HOT!!!! i love you girl.
xoxoxoxoxo

JennJo said...

Glad you are enjoying being back and loving sweet little things about people. I really like that about you girl. ;-)