Wednesday, June 06, 2007

three nightshifts..

my supervisor, Mayflor, is sick in the hospital with something, and as such, they needed to switch some shifts around. I ended up with nightshift sunday night/tuesday night/thursday night...mer. Sunday night I delivered Lovely's son (detailed in the previous post), tuesday night I was lucky enough to have a continuity, Analyn Aninon, give birth to her first son. [And tonight's the last of my shifts for this week...3 for 3?]

I took Analyn on as a continuity because early in her pregnancy, last october, she had an ultrasound done saying she had partial placenta previa. This is when the placenta implants itself over the opening of the uterus (the cervix). [just let me know when these stories become too involved]. "Partial" obviously means it was only part way over the cervix, and because it was so early in the pregnancy, it has a good chance of moving as the uterus grows. I wanted to follow the case, hoping to get to do or see or learn something.

Analyn, 27, texted me around 5:30 am tuesday morning. The text said, "Jenna gud a.m ngsakit n ang tiyan nagawasan nko dugo pero gamay lng.analyn aninon" which means, "Good morning, Jenna. There's a pain in my abdomen and blood has come out of me, but a little only.." I texted her back saying that it would be best if she could wait until prenatals (because she was scheduled to come to the clinic at 8 am for a prenatal check-up anyways). She said she could wait, and that contractions were only 1/2 hr. apart.

She came to prenatals and I got to visit with her briefly (there were 60-something woman out that day needing prenatal care). I sent her home with a smile after explaining to her in detail all the signs and symptoms she would experience inthe near future, and when she should come back to the clinic. At 8:42 pm that night she texted me again, "Gen, gudpm wer are you? im going 2 mercy bcoz its very pain." I was at student group at the time, but had planned on going to the clinic afterward anyhow because my shift started at 10pm.

I met her at Mercy, and checked her in. Everything was basically normal except for the blood. Obviously, there is going to be some blood in the last stages of labour, and that's normal, but there was more than what I am used to seeing at that point, and I was extra sensitive because of the partial placenta previa (even though she had another ultrasound at 36 wks saying it had moved and was fine, to which I was slIGHtly disappointed (that's bad, I know) but it was turning out to be yet another normal delivery)...She gave birth at 11:56pm, and everything went so well. Analyn did SO great, and I worried for nothing, or so I thought.

When it came time for the placenta to come out, it wouldn't. We intervened a little, but the placenta still only came partially out, the rest was still attached to the uterus, which is not good, because she'll keep bleeding. We were forced to transport her to the hospital. I went and saw her yesterday, she is doing well, but hasn't had a chance to hang out with her baby yet.

2 comments:

JennJo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JennJo said...

Seriously, can May just get a break already??? It just seems to be one thing after another after another....
Can you tell her that I am praying for her?!
And, interesting the way it ended up with Analyn. Was it placenta accreta or what? Did they do a d&c?