Friday, April 27, 2007

an honest days work


Dayshift started at 6am with the nightshift endorsing only 2 labours who weren't even active (but they had prom (premature rupture of membranes) and had to stay at the clinic because so). Tiffany was also there, though not on shift, because her continuity was in labour. I was third up and thought I might be able to get a head start on the herb&homeopathy assignment we just started...i.was.wrong. A labour (shoot, i can't even remember her name right now because I've had three babies in three days) walked in fully dilated and ready to push, I was up, and delivered a baby before any of the other 3 admitted at that time. During my immediate postpartum, yet anOTHer labour walked in and my supervisor starting laughing because she was up! (usually supervisors don't get the 'priviledge' of delivering babies because they supervise us students, but there were just TOO MANY girls giving birth). IT was about this time that both Tiff's and Starla's girls became active. YIKES! By 2 pm we'd all helped to deliver five healthy babies (everyone handled one, we just say certain key terms that alert the rest of whats going on inside of our cubicle, and those who are free at the time will come and either chart something down, or assist with the actual delivery). Our team has a pretty great system going on.
Adrenaline is pumping the enTIRE eight hours, after which I had a statistics class until 5.
Mmm. Life is good! I still can't grasp the idea of me...being here, in the Philippines, delivering all these precious babies but..
I somewhat hope I'll never really believe this is happening. I might get overwhelmed with all the miracles poppin' out.
AND. My mom and I are currently confirming flights for my vacation home...which, I am starting to get sUPer nervous about,
I'm not sure what I'll do with myself, not working...not going to schOOl...just, being at home, with nothin' to do.
I wonder if i'll miss it the life that's been created for me here..?!
ANYWAYs. enough of sharing my innermost.thoughts.
Here are a few more pictures of 'happenings around the birthroom' for your viewing pleasure:



2 comments:

MaryJocelyn said...

JENNA! TRust me, when you're home you will NOT have time to just sit around the house. It will be a mad month of visitors and love! I don't think that I can even grasp that you're over there...doing what you're doing...it's nuts...but SOOO FABULOUS! Can't wait to see you Jenna!
Love, Mary

michelle said...

bryi'm with mary on that one... you'll be swamped! pulling double shifts of visiting all day and then visiting all night!! no time to sleep girl!!!! haha and just when you thought you'd take a breather i'll be there ! haha you'll never be alone girlfriend! haha. i can't wait!