Thursday, November 02, 2006

visitng Ate May's!

I haven't seen a baby born for the past two weeks :S...and lASt night I had a birthroom night shift that bAScially made UP for the lack of deliveries. Five babies lAter, around 4am I got to take an hour nap before cleaning up and endorsing all those postpartums to the day shift midwives. It.was.nuts!
All of them were so completely different, and yet, they all run into each other. It is difficult to later chart my experiences when so many are born at once. The crAZy news is that I've finished my observes - therefORE - I get to starting charting throughout the labour and delivery of the woman, I kinda have been doing this already, when things get too busy, but I wasn't really supposed to until I had fully observed 10 births. I've acutally sEEN 15 little ones pop out, but I can only count the observes if I saw the whole process take place: the check-in, the antenatal, the delivery, AND the postpartum.
SwEEt huh!
I came home and slept for maybe three more hours, and have since then been running around trying to get ready to go away for the wkd! I asked MayFlor if I could go to her house for the wkd. She and her husband lives two hours away, up somewhere away from this noisy city, and she goes home every weekend to see him. It was really cool because she is so so excited to have me. She also admitted she was a little nervous, to see what I will think of her home, and how things are done up there, but I'm ready for anything. It'll be such a good experience to see how Filipinos ACTually live. I've ALSO been trying to study, but right after my test I am heading out with May, so everything has to be ready, plus, I am on cooking this week, so I've also been preparing a potato-broccoli soup that the girls can heat up for tonight. Eeeek! I should probably go stUdY now...

ps. i've also starting creating a 'MySpace' online. You can find it by go to www.myspace.com/jennamariekonkle, it's another spot to blog, but also easier to put pics and videos UP...the few friends i've got so far are mostly midwives here or students also going through the program, and thEIR myspaces are amazing! - an EXcellent procrastination tool, ch-ch-chECK it out.

3 comments:

Dave Heywood said...

Chalk another first up. Man I am quick.

Jenna, I can't believe how quickly this is progressing for you. I mean, when did you leave...end of August or beginning of September? Did you even know anything about this stuff before then? Now you are catching babies. Crazy. Have a good weekend!

lo said...

I love finding out about your life here on your blog! Sometimes a block and a half seems a whole world away, eh?! Hope you have (/had cause you are already gonners...) a grand weekend at Ate May's... Such a great experience... seriously excieted for you! What a grand experience. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Christine said...

Jenna dear. Hope you had a terrific weekend experiencing the 'real' Fillipino life outside the city. Hey i was checking out google earth today and looked up your city. It is so amazing how it just zooms all the way in and I can see pretty clearly the roof tops of houses and stuff. Maybe one day you can direct me to YOUR rooftop!! talk to you soon...