Monday, October 23, 2006

another first.

Normally, tuesday is my prenatal day. Girls are scheduled to come on the same day of the week, so that there is some continuity of care with a team of midwives on that specific day. Even grEAter care would be to take on one of the women as a 'continuity'. The school requires only three continuitys within the two years, but we are allowed to take on as many as we think we can handle. Every monday we take on new clients and a few midwives from each team covers this day, and today, that included me. I spent the first part of my morning taking countless BPs. It was good though to practice, and by the end of it I had a pretty sweet system going on. Then, the initial examination, of verbal obstetric history, lmp, edd, etc. are discussed. This is whats going on in this picture. Ate Susan, a midwife at MMC is in the blue.After that I started helping out with the actually prenatal exam. Mondays are exCITing because these girls are new to Mercy or, at least, are just starting their pregnancy. THIS is a good thing for ME because I have a sea of women who won't deliver until next year, when I am actually handling...
I've taken on my fIRSt continuity!! and I'm SO excited...it's like..ACTUally being a midwife for someone! She comes on my day, tuesday, and a little note that says "please refer to Jenna" is put on the front of her chart.
It's like a match made in heaven. The midwife I was assisting knew what I was thinking before I said it.
Her name is Ialeen Baluran - Ai Ai (pronounced I-I) for short, shes 28 years old, this is her fIRSt baby (G1,P0)! LMP was 07/03/06 which would make her EDD 04/10/07. OH.MY.GOODness! I will be guiding this beauitful soul throughout her pregnancy!! WHen she has problems, or questions, she'll text me! She'll text me when she's in labour, I'll run to the clinic and deliver her precious bAby for her, then do all the baby check-ups and such! I'm just. prEtty EXcited! She'll be back in three weeks for her tetanus toxiod shot :) and another prenatal...she couldn't feel her baby today, she's still fairly early!
Hopefully, she does not mind being typed about on my blog.

No comments: