Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Orientation in Oregon

"..watching and waiting, looking above.
Filled with His goodness, lost in His love.."

It's been a mere four days since I was introduced to my new friends/roommates/co-workers and we're already super tight! 'Orientation' turned out to be getting treated like rOYalty as we travelled Portland, hiked a mountainside [Nehahkani in Manzinita, OR] that looked over the Pacific [pic above, my classmates], and got just to know one another. I already completely respect and trust my teachers and the midwives I will be working under. I fly across the pond in about 8 hours from now and can not wait to be immersed into the filipino culture [more on thAt later!] I've been told that after a week of orientation in the Phils, my busy life as a midwife/student will commense. I will be assigned to a full day of pre-natal clinics, where the girls come around 7AM for a time of worship, then a devotional, then health class, followed by the one-on-one pre-natals! [cool huh!] I will also have 3 eight hour shifts working in the clinic, assisting whatever deliveries might be happening at that time PLUS be on-call for whenever the patients i see weekly for those pre-natals. I guess the Phils is the land of texting [Brianna, you'd fit right in!] so I will need a cell if I want to stay in the loop! Other than the clinical stuff, I am also expected to read one textbook per month, and do a report about it and also stay on top of my assignments due at different times throughout the semester (all self study). EEk! A whole new life, in a whole new place...this is crazy!

1 comment:

Christine said...

So good to hear everything is going great for you out there. The west coast views are spectacular! I'm sure you'll be seeing some pretty amazing views to come. I'll be praying for you as you fly across the big pond tonight. So exciting...