Thursday, September 14, 2006

mountain outreach

This morning all the new students were ready to go with Mordegai at 4:30am, that meant getting up at 4:25 for me..but i think some were up by 3:45! We crammed into the back of this little ..umm, i don't even know what this kinda truck is called, but it remINds me of those dinky cars we used to play with. A couple hours lAter we were on up in the mountains, and scaling down some muddy hill to visit someone for coffee (pft. i don't even LIKE coffee), after playing with their goats :) we climbed back up to hill and continued on into this village where the pastor had already told the ppl that 'doctors' were coming :S I have a lONG story about this day, but I'd rAther not post it for the world to read.. instead I'll show you some of the aMAZing sights I was blessed with today.
ON THE WAY UP..
playing with the baby goats <3.....
..administering amoxicillin to all the little children!
THIS. is the truck we rode up in..

..playing red rover ;)
Yaa, it lOOks like I did a lot from that one picture, but mostly I just kept the kids occupied while their parents were being treated. The horrible thing IS that I could not think of any games that didn't include violence! The first game I taught them (through an interpreter, of course) was Red Rover..mm, they got prEtty into it. so THEN we played freeze tag, that was a fun time. THEN it started to rain, so we took cover in this gazebo-type structure and played telephone (works wEll when you don't know the language...I start language class on tuesday) and also Stella-Ella-Ola, which was my favourite! It started rAINing just as we were about to leave, but Mordegai was staying the night and had set up for motorcycles to take us back down to the highway so we could catch a bus back into town.. I've been forced into the arms of a filipino alREAdy :S.. let me explain. They're were SEVEN of us girls, and TWO bikes - the larger three rode with one, and the smaller four rode with the Other - and I got the 'front seat' (ON THE TANK, in FRONT of the driver). No helmets, rain, mud, hills, and me clinging onto this stranger for my life! ahahha hokie smokes. it was NUTS!

4 comments:

Dave Heywood said...

Sounds like you're having a great time Jenna! aaaaand I got to be the first one to comment on this post...thats...REALLY GOOD!

Christine said...

i love that picture with the trees and the sun shining through!! (wait..does the spelling of shining look right to you?) i'm looking forward to seeing more amazing scenery shots.....cause you know how much i like scenery! no seriously! put some more cool shots like that up there and i might just have to come see it for myself.

i would have loved to see all you girls on that bike. i definetely would have been freaking out...but then thought it was really cool AFTER we made it safe! talk about getting up close and personal with the native Fillipinos! Thats so great. Can't wait to hear more.....

jenna and brianna konkle said...

mmm.girls...i lOVE how i can hear each one of you saying those comments :)..so characteristic! I'm glad your'all enjoying it.

jenna and brianna konkle said...

OH, and 'doctor' hmmm, the amoxicillin is just a fancy name for RIDWORM - i'm not even joking you.